Saturday, September 18, 2010

Donations / Tax Write Offs

I'm sitting here at my own garage sale right now. It's 9:15am and I've sold $0.50. I'm realizing that it is hard to get traffic down my street. We live off of a busy road but you can only get to us from one way because the bridge at the other end of our street has been closed. Unfortunately pretty much all GPS and online map programs don't know about the bridge being closed - though it has been for several years! So people can never find us! I put out signs at the end of the street, but it seems people are going to fast to stop and make the turn. Oh well - so, I thought, I can write my blog while I am sitting here!

Anyway - I thought to write a topic on write offs and donations because I think I am going to have A LOT of it after this lousy sale!

Another way you can save $ is by tallying up the worth of your items if you make a donation to a non profit organization. Now don't quote me on everything because by no means am I a tax person but I do know that donations are a tax write off. So if I donate all this stuff that doesn't sell, that will deduct from my income (in some form) and I will owe less taxes. Always talk to your accountant about donations and tax write offs.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather sell every last piece in my sale today, but at least I know I can recover the $ in some way!

PS - I finished writing at 9:45am and I've sold $15 - at least it will get me a couple Starbucks drinks ;)

Photobucket