Thursday, September 16, 2010

Craigs List - an excellent resource

As I mentioned in the previous post, garage sales are a great resource for sourcing goods to sell on eBay. Another excellent avenue to purchase goods is Craigs List. Though it has become ridden with scammers as of late, if you search smart and ask the right questions you can usually weed out who is legitimate and who is not.

I have had mostly positive experiences on Craigs List. I purchased an 82 piece set of vintage Noritake China for $60. I had put a wanted ad on Craigs List and a woman responded. Turned out, she lived 1 mile from me! She and her husband were moving across the country and needed to sell it (*moving sales are a great source too - and usually you can get items at a low price). I was honest with her that I was going to resell it. She didn't know the pattern name, but knew it was from around the 1930's. Finally about two weeks later I started to list the china set on eBay. I had put up the tea cups, bowls & dinner plates. Within a couple days a woman in Wisconsin offered me $700 for the 82 piece set, plus shipping! She has a set in the same pattern (it was her grandmother's) & she is always trying to add to it.

Here is a picture of the gorgeous china:

Photobucket     Photobucket

It took me a week to package the set for shipping and I hired someone to help me, but it was worth it! AND - not one of those 82 pieces broke during transit - I was so proud! You too can turn $60 into $700 with a little research and determination.

*Helpful tip - many people selling items on Craigs List have a personal attachment with what they are selling - but "have" to sell it for one reason or another, whether moving, need money, etc. The more endearing and personal you are (be sure not to go overboard though), the more likely they are to give you a good deal and sell the item to you. Like I have said before, I always hear "I'm glad it's going to a good home" or "I'm so happy it's going to a person who can get it to someone who will enjoy it". And remember the art of negotiation - if you buy a lot from one person, offer a bulk or lot price instead of individual item pricing. It's a win for you and the seller!


Photobucket